Saturday, August 22, 2009

Open day






Today was the first 'Open day' for my Dad's old house today. I lived in this house for 7 or 8 years and while I have a few fond memories I think it stopped being 'my' house when Mum died ten years ago. Dad died earlier this year and by then the house was unrecognisable from the place I grew up in. Lets just say my dad wasn't into house maintenance or tidiness and was a obsessional hoarder.

In the ten years since Mum died it was turned into a place I didn't really want to visit. So, to see it stripped out (tonnes and tonnes of acquired crap removed), with minimal furniture and everything in sight painted white is just odd. I hadn't realised how 70s it really is. It's like I'm seeing its bones. AND! It is the cleanest house in Dunedin. My sibs and I spent last weekend, along with many other weeks and months of removing Dad's treasures, cleaning every surface.

No comments: