Sunday, February 21, 2010

Back to the Catlins - February 2010

The Catlins has now been officially recognised as a place name by the NZ Geographic Board. Hmmm, I thought that was always its name!

I visited recently with my bookclub and experienced one of those perfect days. These photos are all from out at the Owaka Heads.

Not a breath of wind the day we were here - but the deformed bushes suggest it's not always this calm!


Snail's trails - I guess they were looking for something?


Mesmerising seaweed. We saw paua gathers launching themselves through the seaweed with no trouble - but it always gives me the creeps and I feel it would wind itself around my legs and neck and hold me down.


The rock structures out at the Heads are amazing - these look like a patchwork of fields as seen from an airplane, but are actually only an inch or two across.

2 comments:

Anthony said...

Great photos. I really like the seaweed and the rock.. Striking.

Jo said...

Cheers :-)
Time I got a decent camera, I think. It never comes out quite the way I see it on the day. Needs more swish!