Friday, January 12, 2007

Babble, babble

We had twelve here for tea, and a bed, last night. I was super organised with food all made ahead of time – Chicken Pie, yummmm! We even all sat at the table together- I didn’t know I had that many chairs! And somehow managed to find sleeping spaces for everyone.

Seán’s parents, two of his sisters and two nephews joined the six of us that were home. They, plus some of us (not me, not me!), are off to Stewart Island for three nights. They are very good at having family get-togethers every so often and apparently have a riotous time. I am always keen on joining in but know that my naturally hermit-like behaviour (need lots of quiet time) and dislike of some people would spoil it for those that enjoy all that togetherness.

So, another wee respite from family/holiday bedlam, for a few days anyway. Only two children at home now.

Jed arrived at 1.30am this morning after a camping trip in Central Otago with ‘mates’. Their car broke down about an hour away from Dunedin at 10.30pm last night. I couldn’t sleep until he arrived home safely.

Jed is the only one of his friends who has a full license. Meaning, he can now drive carloads of people around; most of his friends only have restricted licenses and can only drive themselves.Jed had rather a bad accident ( see pix) up on the Manuka Gorge road a few months back while driving his dad’s car – writing it off. And I lay awake not really knowing what was happening, on a dark, wet and foggy night.

The parents of the owner of the car (a girlie Jed was holidaying with) ended up going up and bringing them home (I had offered - rather pointlessly as I don’t know anything about cars). I haven’t heard what has happened to the car yet, but at least I know my boy is sleeping in his bed and safe for another day.

Long babble today and it’s still earlier than I have been getting up for weeks! The Stewart Island bound had to leave at 7.30am to catch a ferry at Bluff and I got up to wave goodbye. I was going to go back to bed, but instead got waylaid by Blogging, the world’s biggest time waster!

I have just received a txt invitation to a party! Wow! We just don’t go to parties anymore. Seán will be cross that he isn’t here to go with me. He’s not very keen on me having too good a time without him by my side, are you sweetie? Never mind. I promise not to drink too much and not to dance with any strangers :-) That said, I will probably have my 15 and 16 year-old children beside me, and a whole raft of karate bods will be there. So it will be best behaviour all around. Osu!

No comments: