Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Fathers and sons


Just back from the tramp and I got a call from my first husband to ask if I would be boat driver while he and my eldest son, Ben, went snorkeling. This is a very odd request as I have never driven a boat and don't really know what to do. But he convinced me that; it would be easy, the sea was really, really flat, Ben wanted to try out the snorkeling gear we had given him for his birthday the week before, and the kicker - there would be a feed of fish or paua at the end of it all.

It turned out to be a nice wee trip. I learnt how to start and stop the boat (quite handy that!) and to keep clear of them while they were in the water - but to watch all the time, in case they get in trouble or called for the boat. I had to negotiate kelp beds and clear the propellers if they got clogged. While those two were snorkeling Seán and Jack had a go at fishing for cod with a line. A lot of bait got stolen, but only one fish caught. The snorkelers came back with 7 or 8 moke they had speared and a large bag of mussels. They found the paua spot the next day.

The scariest bit was driving back. Stephen is very keen to push people past their limits and made me drive the boat back to the launching spot. Now, the zooming along the flat sea was really fun, but the entrance to the tidal lagoon was terrifying, I had no idea were the sand bar was, and no idea how to react if the depth suddenly disappear. He kept saying, ‘It's OK, it's OK, steer for the seagull, no left, LEFT!’ ‘Watch the depth gauge. Are you watching the depth gauge?!’ Anyway, made it back and I'd be tempted to do it again.

Husband with youngest son
Former husband with oldest son

No comments: