Sunday, June 01, 2008

Twelves weeks (again!)

Jacob's ladder from the top

Time to get my exercise on the up and up. I never really stop, but start to take it a little more seriously as a grading comes closer. I haven't got a date for my brown belt grading but assume it will be late August. That's 12 weeks and time to get serious.

Zoë's Shodan grading is in Timaru, in three weeks! Whew, that's come about really fast. She has been really lucky with; her training partner - the lovely Karl, her brown belt syllabus teacher - Sensei Seán, and of course her mother - the amazing me! I have been watching over her quietly. She doesn't take advice well from a lowly green belt. But I've been making sure she stays healthy, sleeps and eats well. I pick her up from parties when she's drunk(!) only the once, thank goodness. And best of all I go stair running with her each Sunday after kata class.

Jacobs Ladder was our stairs of choice for this training – and what a killer set of stairs they are. Funnily the first time we went to find them we got the wrong stairs and thought we were pretty hot shit making it up and down 5 or 6 times. Later that week we discovered the real Jacobs Ladder…287 stairs of alternating steepness and widths – the last 25 or so are really, really, really steep. I only ‘made’ it up 3 times and if the truth was told I only ran it properly the first time.

Zoë was amazing, having a real goal helps, (your mind is a powerful thing when running stairs) and a mother who yells encouragement from behind for those last hard stairs when your legs are dead. Anyway last week she could run it 5 times, so we thought this week we would head back to our home ground stairs (195), of a nice uniform width and grade.

Man, we powered up those stairs 10 times, talking, chatting, and not having to bend over and almost puke at the top of each set. We rocked!

Anyhoo…Lots exercise, eating well, and refining techniques…12 weeks… here I go again :-)

No comments: