Monday, April 16, 2007

Me Big Hunter Man!


Off all the times to have a mouse invasion, let’s wait for guests to arrive.

We always get about four mice a year, as the autumn weather turns chilly. The beasts annoy us for a couple of nights while we are in bed and then the traps come out. Four mice later and no more are seen.

But this year we can’t stop catching the wee buggers! Worse they are being seen in the daytime! Zipping under the fridge or the TV, crawling up the fire surround and darting across the woodpile. All this while we are entertaining guests. I felt like this was a third world country and our house was somehow attracting vast hoards of mice. I explained several times how this only occurs for about a week every year, but I don’t think they believed me.

The other odd thing is that Seán has taken such an active roll in the catching of them. It has usually been my job to catch and dispose of them. Especially the ones that get caught at night and aren’t quite dead yet. But this year Seán is setting the traps avidly and discussing bait and strategy with my son. He proudly shows each catch off and has piled up the corpses! Why? What’s wrong with the wheelie-bin? Get rid of them please….

4 comments:

Glen and Andrea said...

Hi there,
Just found your blog after searching for accounts of holidays to New Caledonia.
I live in Invercargill and just booked cheap online tickets to New Caledonia for August. I've never been further than Australia - can you please tell us what to expect and where to go? Where to stay? We have a tight budget.
Thanks so much!

Jo said...

Hey Andrea!
Happy to share any info that would be useful. We had a fabulous 7 nights in Noumea. Ours was a package that included accommodation, so we didn't look around and I can't really help you with that.

But I'm happy to share some tips, tell you what we liked and didn't like, where the best beaches are to be found, etc...

Flick me a message to...
jbrosnahan@paradise.net.nz

Jo

LME said...

Are those three on the right mice?! Eek! They're gigantic.

Maybe you need to get a cat?

Jo said...

Oh definitely mice! The ones on the left are actually so small they are almost sweet :-S

As to cats, my theory is that I have enough pets (children) already and I don't want to clean up after, or feed, anything else.