Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Beach education vs shopping

A busy day today, in a weird way. Theoretically Tuesday is my day off, but I had signed up for Jack’s ‘Beach education day’ This involved transporting a car full of 9 and 10 year-olds to the beach and then making sure they didn’t drown. Since there were about 5 lifeguards involved in the ‘beach ed’ day, I figured that I was a little redundant once arriving at the beach. The teacher thought so too, and so most parents were told they could go ‘off’ if they liked and be back for lunch and the swim at 12.30ish.

Suited me! I whizzed off with Zoë and did a little shopping in Mosgiel*, had a coffee and then went home to make some lunch. Back to the beach to watch the lifeguards protect the children while swimming. Redundant again! Stood though an achingly long and noisy beach safety talk and brought the children home again.

Funniest moment of the day was when all the children were made to lie down, feet facing the beach, and then watch an enormous wave rush up and drench them all to a chorus of screams (especially the boys!). I wish I had had a camera to catch their horrified faces. The air temperature was 17, but I imagine the water was a little chillier.

I’m home now baking chocolate chippie biscuits for my brother’s 49th birthday do tonight. Smells good!

* Mosgiel is a wee town just outside of Dunedin. Being over the hill on the Taieri Plain it both avoids coastal breezes and is dead flat. Making it the perfect location for OP (old people). Trillions of rest homes, hospitals, retirement complexes, etc are situated there. The main street is well known as one of the most dangerous around – just so many inattentive people!

However it was the footpath rather than the road that very nearly proved to be my downfall. Zoë and I almost being bowled over as two scootterised OP and a third with a walking stick all swerved and halted, in a synchronised fashion that suggested this is a daily occurrence, to have a wee chat.

No comments: