Monday, December 04, 2006

Camp


Karate camp was a blast. The weather fantastic, blue skies and warm. I had a very smelly gi after wearing it for two nights and ten sessions - including beach training (rolling around in wet sand) and two runs.

I have decided that the army missed out on a great recruit in me. I loved the routine of living to the bell and being told what to do and when to do it. There were no decisions that I had to make about food of clothes or organising anything. Just so relaxing!

Cell phones and watches are banned leaving you at the mercy of who ever are running the camp. A large bell was used to call everyone in for each session, including in the middle of the night; from fast asleep you had to race into the hall to perform one thousand kicks or punches and various other karate stuff. Bleary eyed and tousled headed you then fell back, all sweaty, into your bunk. It was very surreal.

The beach sessions were hilarious, sinking wrist deep into the sand while doing push-ups and splattering other people's gis with sand splots when kicking. Undies appeared like magic through soaking wet gi pants, after doing sit-ups – very colourful. I was slightly worried as I was wearing a delightful beige pair that I imagine became translucent when wet.

The people were friendly, the food was plentiful, the etiquette, while enforced, was not overbearing. It was great to see so many higher ranks all together. Dunedin dojo is quite small and we are in awe of our three Kyoshi (5th dan), but here there were 7 or 8 Kyoshi, a number of Jun Shihan (6th dan) and the boss Shuseki Shihan (Renzie) top guy for Seido in New Zealand.

We didn’t get to see them do much as several gradings were going on over the weekend (including MDs) and they were busy with those. We did have quite a few sessions with various Kyoshi though and that was always illuminating. The camp was quite top heavy in the higher ranks, over half were Shodun (blackbelt) and above. Only eight yellow belts attended, three from Dunedin. That was a shame as I was looking forward to having a greater variety of partners.

My shoulder held up wonderfully and although every muscle in my body aches, it is that good ache of a body well used, not abused. I think I will be going for a grading this weekend. I’m annoyed I didn’t do it at the camp, but you had to register a month ago and I wasn’t confident of my shoulder. Their grading was half the length of the gradings we have down here. Next year maybe?

MD’s grading was eighteen hours long. All he can tell me about it is that his preparation was perfect. It is all secret squirrel stuff and very mysterious. But he did well and looked strong and happy on his return to the camp. He is now a Yondan (4th dan) and is called Sensei. Cool. Well-done sweetie!

No comments: